I had celery, carrots, and chicken in the house so I decided to whip up some soup with some spices from the cabinet. It turned out hearty and savory with Scott’s seal of approval. I just had to add way more water than I previously thought necessary because simmering for a long period of time tends to make it evaporate. haha.
Anywho, this soup is perfect for a sick day. Not only is it hydrating, but it has enough spice to clear up the sinuses. It is loaded with flavor, yet is lean because I only used 1 boneless skinless chicken breast. The ingredient that I think really makes this chicken soup is the type of stock I use, and I am about to give it some unsolicited praise. Korr’s homestyle stock comes in a pack of 4 small gel packs so it is easy to store and also is rated high in by consumer report for real chicken flavor. Basically, it is as close in deliciousness to real chicken stock as you can get, maybe even better.
Spicy Chicken Noodle Soup
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 2 1/2 hours Serves: 4
- 2 small onions
- 1 cup carrots
- 3 stalks celery
- 1 container chicken stock
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 1 cup dry pasta, any type you prefer
- 1 chicken breast
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional, makes it spicy)
- 1/2 tsp ground sage
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp tumeric
^Just look at all that flavor!
- Dice carrots, onions, and celery and saute in olive oil on medium heat in non stick pan until onions translucent, about 20 minutes. Stir every minute or so.
- Add garlic, salt, parsley, pepper, cayenne pepper, ground sage, and tumeric to pan and saute 5-10 more minutes, stirring constantly.
- Cook pasta according to box, drain, set aside in bowl. Boil chicken until 160 degrees Fahrenheit inside, about 15 minutes. Dice chicken, put in bowl with pasta and put in refrigerator.
- Add chicken stock gel to 2 cups of water. Microwave on high 2 minutes. Stir and add to soup pot along with saute mixture. Add 4 more cups of water and simmer on low for 2 hours.
- 10 minutes before serving add noodles and chicken. Just enough time for it to heat up but not over-cook. Serve with crackers or bread. Yum!