Easy Shepherd's Pie
Author: Christy Jean
Recipe type: Dinner
Makes two large portions of a savory beef, vegetable, and gravy mixture that is topped with cheesy mashed potatoes. The ultimate comfort food.
- 2 large russet potatoes
- ⅓ cup milk
- ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 can, 14.5 oz, peas & carrots
- 1 can, 6.5 oz, mushrooms
- ½ pound ground beef
- ½ cup water
- 2 tbsp flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp Mrs. Dash seasoning
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- pepper to taste
- Boil halved potatoes and start browning meat
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- When meat is no longer pink, add salt, Mrs. Dash seasoning, garlic powder, and onion powder. Stir well.
- Turn beef burner down to low and add flour, stir, then add water. Then add cans: drained mushrooms and drained peas & carrots.
- When potatoes done, or easily able to be pierced with fork, removed from water and take skins off. Mash and mix in milk, cheese, butter, and pepper to taste.
- Add meat and veggie mixture to casserole dish(es) then top with mashed potatoes
- Bake at 375 F for 15 minutes. Serve. Will need more oven time if dish prepared ahead of time and refrigerated.
- (optional) Broil for 2-3 minutes to brown top
I used two large individual serving sized casserole dishes and then used an ice-cream scoop to top meat with mashed potatoes. After baking, I broiled for a couple minutes to make the potatoes brown on top. Be careful broiling because it will burn in a skinny minute.