I adapted this recipe from http://www.rhodesbread.com/blog/blog/braided-spaghetti-bread, and I haven’t looked back. Left over spaghetti never tasted so good.
The presentation combined with the delcious-ness makes it an instant crowd pleaser. So, I like to make it for get-togethers, and people seem to be so impressed by the simple braided crust and then are impressed by how yummy it is. I’ve tried experimenting with different seasonings and cheeses or making it without ground beef. I’ve found it is pretty much impossible to mess this recipe up, unless you burn it, drop it on the floor and the dog gets to it first.
This is just a fun and delicious way to make left over spaghetti special. Many times though, I make spaghetti specifically for this recipe.
Add some Italian seasoning & sprinkle on some Parmesan….
- 1 Loaf Rhodes Bread Dough or 12 rolls of frozen bread dough
- 2 cups left over spaghetti (spaghetti noodles covered in meat sauce)
- 6 oz shredded cheese (mozzarella and/or asaigo and/or romano)
- 1 tbsp Italian spices (basil/oregano/thyme)
- 3 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp pesto (optional)
- Extra sauce for dipping
- Let frozen dough defrost in refrigerator overnight, on counter for 2 hours, or if pressed for time, microwave on low until workable.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Roll out dough on floured surface to the size of your cookie sheet or about 12x16 inches
- Transfer dough to buttered cookie sheet
- Add left over spaghetti in a heaping strip along center of dough, leaving about 3-4 inches on both sides. Add shredded cheese on top.
- Cut about 20 slits in each side toward center, stopping ½ inch before reaching spaghetti. Make sure number of slits on each side are equal.
- Add a smear of pesto on each strip (optional).
- Start on one end and stretch strip over to the other side, at about a 45 degree angle.
- Then bring strip on other side back over crossing the first strip at about a 45 degree angle. Keep alternating strip in criss-cross pattern until finished. Fold end up towards center if necessary.
- Sprinkle with Italian seasoning then parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes.
- Serve with extra sauce for dipping if desired.
Use two Rhodes bread dough loaves and add more spaghetti/meat sauce to serve 6. Add 10-15 minutes cooking time.