These are so good. And so simple. It is really one of my favorite summer time sides when the squash crop starts coming in. Sometimes though, the craving hits me in the middle of the winter and I have to run to the grocery store for squash, like today. Really all it needs is flour, shredded squash or zucchini, an egg, and a frying pan with some olive oil in it.
It can be made even more delicious with a little spice such as parsley, basil, oregano, salt, and/or pepper.
It is also a great way to get kids to eat veggies when served with Ketchup or Ranch. I’m partial to ketchup. Its like healthy fries…kinda.
Just plop a scoop of the mixture in the pan, flatten, and let it sizzle till nice and crispy. Place finished fritters on paper towels to absorb a little oil, and serve immediately to maintain crispness.
- 2 cups shredded squash (about 2 medium size squash)
- ¼ cup self rising flour
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour or cornmeal
- 1 egg
- ½ tbsp parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil
- Mix shredded squash, flour/cornmeal, egg, parsley, and pepper.
- Put 1 tbsp olive oil in pan on medium heat
- When fully heated, place large spoonful of mixture in pan and pat down until ¼ inch thick or less.
- Flip when batter starts to bubble (like a pancake) and underside is dark brown.
- Put finished patties on plate with paper towel. Repeat process, adding 1 tbsp olive oil to pan before cooking each pan full of patties.
- Salt and serve immediately with ketchup or ranch dressing.