This morning turned out to be ‘berry’ blue. On a cold rainy day, there is nothing better than a warm creamy bowl of oatmeal. This oatmeal is so good, it is like eating cobbler for breakfast, thanks to one very important ingredient, blueberry jam! It really kicks the flavor up a notch by saturating every bite with blueberry flavor. Using other combinations of fruit and jam such as raspberry, strawberry, or peach is really good too! I also use original Almond Breeze milk because it is a little sweet and makes the oatmeal creamy. My dad and I picked the blueberries last summer and froze them. It is really easy and it is like having fresh blue berries all year-long. Just pick, rinse in cold water, de-stem, set out to dry completely on paper towels, spread out berries on cookie sheet and freeze, transfer frozen berries to freezer bags getting out as much air as possible. They will be good in the freezer for up to 4 years.
- 1/2 cup steel-cut oats
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tbsp blueberry jam
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp brown sugar (optional)
- Mix oatmeal, blueberries, milk, and jam.
- Microwave 1 minute, stir, microwave 1 more minute. You can add more or less milk or microwave time depending on your preference
- Stir in vanilla and sprinkle brown sugar on top. Simple!