I love pesto, mainly because I love basil. Pesto its like an explosion of basil flavor so I just knew adding it to the biscuits would make them a perfect complement to an Italian dinner. I decided I should add a little ricotta cheese to them too. Since my biscuits are so fluffy yet rich and delicious with the thick creamy ingredient-buttermilk (aka pure baking gold), I figured the addition of ricotta cheese would make these babies just as flavorful-Italian dinner style. It worked big time. These biscuits are fluffy yet melt in your mouth with flavor. I definitely impressed the hubby with this one.
This recipe yeilds 16 of these little drop biscuit babies. The batter looked a little green, but the end result, even less green, which is good because I am certain bright green biscuits would be zero appetizing to my picky husband.
I guess ricotta cheese is not know for being the healthiest thing in the world so I tried to balance it out by adding a bit of whole wheat flour, using smart balance butter, and almond milk. I know, it doesn’t work that way, but every little bit helps right? 😉
- 1½ cup self rising flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup ricotta
- 3 tbsp butter*
- 2 tbsp pesto
- 1 cup milk*
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- Butter cookie sheet and preheat oven to 415 F.
- Mix self rising flour and whole wheat flour in mixing bowl.
- Add butter pinching with fingers until thoroughly mixed. Then add ricotta, pinching with fingers until ricotta is distributed throughout mixture
- Mix in milk and pesto.
- Drop large spoonfuls of mixture on buttered cookie sheet and sprinkle parmesan cheese over the tops.
- Bake at 415F for 16-18 minutes